Concordia College Guild Records
Scope and Contents
A file folder for each year, 1938-1995, contains the records pertaining to that year. Included are (where available) a copy of the Concordia Day program, minutes from the Concordia Day meeting, minutes from the executive board meetings, lists of officers, membership attendance lists, and correspondence. Additional folders contain standing rules in various editions, brief histories, members’ handbooks, and account books. Extant copies of the Guild’s newsletter are also included.
- 1938 - 1995
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is available for research by appointment.
Conditions Governing Use
The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in theConcordia College Guild Records and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Rev. Raymond Rimbach of Longview, Washington, proposed having a Concordia Day on November 17, 1937, in order to awaken interest in Concordia among the churches. One year later, a group of women from several Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod congregations in the Northwest founded the Guild informally on September 14, 1938, with some 300 in attendance, to explore ways and means of helping Concordia College. They took as their name the Lutheran Women’s League Convention. The group met again on September 13, 1939, and began the process of establishing a more formal organization. On September 11, 1940, a set of standing rules was adopted for the group which now called itself the “Women’s College Day Group.” The group met annually in the fall for a Concordia Day. Local chapters were formed in Seattle and elsewhere. The name was changed to “Concordia Academy Guild” on September 27, 1948, and to “Concordia College Guild” in 1956. From the late fifties forward, Concordia College Guild and a shortened form of the name, Concordia Guild, were used interchangeably.
The standing rules received a major revision on October 5, 1960, for the first time since 1938. The Guild collected thousands of dollars for various campus projects over the years and frequently donated food for the commissary. By the early 1990’s attendance at the annual gathering declined to the point where the Guild officially ceased in 1995 in spite of efforts to reorganize and revive it. A newsletter began publication in December, 1960, under the title "Guild Newsletter." The January, 1966, issue was called "Concordia Guild News." Thereafter, until the summer of 1989, the publication was called "Concordia Crusader."
3 Linear Feet (5 document boxes and 1 oversize flat box)
The records contain the minutes and programs of College Day meetings, minutes of executive board meetings, correspondence, and newsletters.
Records are divided into two series: Series I. Meetings and Correspondence. Series II. Documents and Publications. Arrangement of the yearly records is chronological. The balance of the records are arranged by subject.
- Guide to the Concordia College Guild Records An Inventory at the Concordia University Archives
- Nolan R. Bremer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid is written in English.
- Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Part of the Concordia University Archives Repository
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland 97211-6099 USA