Skip to main content

Lutheran Education Society of the Pacific Northwest Records

 Record Group
Identifier: RG 15/01
The records are organized into four Series: I. Minutes of the annual meetings and the meetings of the Board of Directors. II. Communications, including correspondence, membership lists, and announcements. The folder for 1966-1969 contains several undated LES promotional brochures. III. The Constitution as revised, including the original constitution from 1919. IV. The “Lutheran Education Society Bulletin.” No records are extant for the 1919-1945 period or after 1981.

Dates

  • 1938 - 1980
  • Majority of material found within 1946 - 1980

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is available for research by appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Lutheran Education Society of the Pacific Northwest Records and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (2 document boxes)

Abstract

The records contain minutes of meetings, communications, membership lists, brochures, constitutions, and newsletters.

Historical Note

The Lutheran Education Society of the Pacific Northwest was organized in 1919 at the level of the Northwest District of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod for the purpose of assisting Concordia College to recruit more students for the pastoral ministry. Fifty names were recorded as charter members. A Board of Directors administered the organization. After falling into dormancy for several years, the organization was revived, reorganized, and relaunched with a banquet on May 2, 1947. Its expanded purpose was “to promote higher education among the young people of the Lutheran Church.”

The interests of the LES extended not only to direct recruitment but also to fundraising for needed items that were not included in the College’s regular budget (such as equipment and scholarships). To raise funds, the LES sought memberships and held not only annual dinner meetings in Portland but also banquets in various regions of the District. A newsletter, Lutheran Education Society Bulletin, that began in 1947, kept the membership informed about the activities of the LES, the latest news from Concordia, and the need to recruit students.

On March 2, 1963, the first annual LES workshop was convened with a focus on recruitment. On February 28, 1974, the LES presented the first of ten annual citizenship awards given to community leaders in order to raise Concordia’s profile. The October 28, 1975, annual meeting minutes noted the changing role of the LES, especially since Concordia itself was now actively involved in recruitment. By 1984 the traditional LES Banquet was replaced with the Lutheran Education Banquet. The Society went out of existence shortly thereafter.

Arrangement

Arrangement within each series is chronological.

Related Archival Material

Many photographs are available in the general photographic file.
Title
Guide to the Lutheran Education Society of the Pacific Northwest Records An Inventory at the Concordia University Archives
Status
completed
Author
Nolan R. Bremer
Date
2004
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia University Archives Repository

Contact:
http://www.cu-portland.edu/academics/libraries
Concordia University
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland 97211-6099 USA