Concordia University Business Office Records
Identifier: RG 12/01
The most significant records are the budgets for 1954-1967 and the financial reports from 1921 to 1957. The correspondence (some of it is copies of letters addressed to the president) gives some insight into the relationship of the business office to the Board for Higher Education and others outside the campus.
- 1921 - 1968
- Majority of material found within 1950 - 1968
- Concordia University (Portland, Or.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is available for research by appointment.
Conditions Governing Use
The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University Business Office Records and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
1 Linear Feet (2 document boxes)
The records of the Concordia University business office contain budgets, financial reports, and general office records.
Business matters were a function of the office of the president and the Board of Control. When former president Sylwester resigned as treasurer and purchasing agent in 1947, a member of the Board was appointed treasurer, who authorized all expenditures, and a faculty member (Rudolph P. F. Ressmeyer) was appointed assistant treasurer; these two handled all financial matters for the school with assistance of a staff secretary. When the secretary resigned in January, 1949, the Board debated whether to hire a secretary/bookkeeper or a Business Manager. The Board’s offer of a Business Manager position was declined, so the Board hired a secretary/bookkeeper, Louise Schulz. In January, 1952, the Board appointed faculty member Alfred Roth to serve part-time as the first Business Manager. In April, 1953, the Business Manager was authorized, along with the Board Treasurer, to write checks. Mrs. Alter was hired as an accountant in 1953. As the workload and complexity of the office increased, William Gustav was appointed Business Manager on a full-time basis in 1958. In June, 1961, the Board abolished the office of Board Treasurer and appointed William Gustav as College Treasurer. He retired in 1980. The Business Manager position was renamed in 1980 to Dean of Planning and Finance.
The files are organized into two series: I. Financial Matters and II. Office Files. Within each series, files are arranged by subject and within subject by date.
- Guide to the Concordia University Business Office Records An Inventory at the Concordia University Archives
- Nolan R. Bremer
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Finding Aid is written in English.
- Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission