Concordia University Lutheran Elementary School Tournament Records
Scope and Contents
Programs were printed for each year. In the course of time the programs became more comprehensive and included pictures of participants, individually and in groups. The records also contain some miscellaneous documents and correspondence.
- 1951 - 2004
- Concordia University (Portland, Or.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is available for research by appointment.
Conditions Governing Use
The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University Lutheran Elementary School Tournament Records and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
The Lutheran Elementary School Tournament began on April 21, 1951, as a “Pre-Junior Talent Festival.” The first official program for that year stated the purpose as follows: “In an attempt to encourage interest in cultural endeavor within the Lutheran churches and schools of the Northwest District, Missouri Synod, and to provide for the demonstration and exhibition of the skills and achievements of the children, Concordia College is sponsoring this first district wide Lutheran school and Sunday School Talent Festival.” Invited were “All pupils of the Lutheran day and Sunday schools in the Northwest District who are at present enrolled in the first through the eighth grade or the kindergarten through senior division in the Sunday School….”
The program was administered by Concordia students for the first ten years. In 1962 it became an official function of Concordia College when four area schools participated in a boys basketball tournament. Sports contests, chiefly basketball for both boys and girls, were eventually complemented with contests in music, art, spelling, chess, swimming, etc. The name was changed several times until in 1976 it became the Concordia Lutheran Elementary School Tournament and in 1984 Lutheran Elementary School Tournament, or LEST, when the tournament became a program of the College of Education. More recently LEST became a responsibility of the Concordia University Foundation. Programs were printed for each year. Souvenir T-shirts were also available. In the course of time pictures of participants, individually and in groups, were included in the program.
1 Linear Feet (1 record box)
Records of the LEST contain an incomplete series of printed programs and other documents.
The records are divided into two series: Series I: Tournament programs from 1951 to 2004 (not all years are represented, and Series II: Miscellaneous documents (such as correspondence and other information). Arrangement within each series is by year.
- Guide to the Concordia University Lutheran Elementary School Tournament Records An Inventory at the Concordia University Archives
- Nolan R. Bremer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid is written in English.
- Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission