Skip to main content

Concordia University Faculty Minutes

 Record Group
Identifier: RG 05/01
The records are mostly minutes of faculty meetings, with agendas and documents that were distributed with agendas. One folder of correspondence, 1926-1952, is also included.

Dates

  • 1926 - 1999

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in German and English.

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is available for research by appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University Faculty Minutes Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Extent

3 Linear Feet (3 record boxes)

Abstract

Files contain the minutes of Concordia faculty meetings, beginning in 1926, along with minimal correspondence.

Historical Note

Concordia began in 1905 with a faculty of one, F.W.J. Sylwester. Even when enrollment growth necessitated additional faculty, for about the first forty years the faculty acted as a committee of the whole. By the early 1950’s the faculty had organized into nine committees: Worship, Discipline, Guidance, Library, Student Activities, Tests & Measurements, Admissions, Curriculum, and Publicity & Public Relations. In 1956 the faculty reorganized into three committees: Worship, Student Life (to include Discipline, Guidance, Tests & Measurements, and Activities), and Educational Policies (to include Curriculum and Library); Admissions and Public Relations were placed under the newly created Administrative Council.

After the high school and college separated administratively in 1961, High School Academic, Student Life, and Admissions Committees were created. An Athletic Council was also introduced, but was apparently dropped as a faculty committee by 1967. A Faculty Hearings Committee was formed in 1974. In June 1973 the Committee on Admissions, Retention, Financial Assistance and Academic Status (CARFAAS) replaced the college Admissions Committee until it ceased in 1985. The high school moved from the campus in 1977. By 1979 the faculty was organized into these committees: Educational Policies, Faculty Welfare, Student Life, Worship, CARFAAS, and Faculty Hearings. In 1985, the recommendation of the Task Force on Faculty Structure was accepted, and the faculty reorganized into two standing committees: Academic Policies (formerly Educational Policies) and Community Life (formerly Student Life). The Hearings Committee continued as a special committee. A third standing committee, Faculty Welfare Policies, was reintroduced in 1992.

Arrangement

Arrangement is chronological. Records of meetings where high school and college faculties met separately are interspersed with the plenary minutes but in separate folders.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.
Title
Guide to the Concordia University Faculty Minutes An Inventory at the Concordia University (Portland, OR) Archives
Status
completed
Author
Nolan R. Bremer
Date
2004
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia University Archives Repository

Contact:
http://www.cu-portland.edu/academics/libraries
Concordia University
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland 97211-6099 USA