Concordia University Physical Facilities Collection
Record Group — boxes: 1-2
Identifier: RG 02/04
The records contain a variety of building-related documents, but not necessarily the same type of document for each building. Types of materials included in the collection are programs for building-related ceremonies, correspondence, building specifications, drawings, building fundraising campaign documents, planning studies, and promotional materials. No building blueprints or as-builts are included.
- 1950 - 1972
- Concordia University (Portland, Or.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is available for research by appointment.
Conditions Governing Use
The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University Physical Facilities Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Northwest District Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
1 Linear Feet (2 document boxes)
The physical facilities collection contains a variety of documents related to the buildings on the Concordia University campus, including master plans.
History of New Construction
- 1907 December
- The first building, housing all major functions of the school, was dedicated
- A home was constructed for President F.W.J. Sylwester on NE 27th Avenue.
- The attic of the 1907 building was remodeled into sleeping quarters.
- A small gymnasium with a dirt floor and no heat was constructed.
- A home was constructed for Prof. E.H. Brandt on NE 27th Avenue.
- The 1921 gymnasium was enlarged and improved.
- The Sylwester and Brandt houses were purchased by the college.
- A service building [heating plant] was constructed.
- 1947 September 14
- Centennial Hall was dedicated.
- 1948 September
- Luther Hall was dedicated; the 1907 building was razed.
- 1950 May 7
- A new gymnasium was dedicated; the 1921 gymnasium was first razed.
- 1951 September 23
- A library and chapel were added to the west end of Luther Hall.
- A president's home was constructed at NE 29th Avenue and NE Liberty Street.
- 1954 May 30
- Guild Hall was dedicated.
- 1958 September 14
- Elizabeth Hall was dedicated.
- 1960 June 3
- Mary Neils Lounge was dedicated.
- 1961 April 15
- The cornerstone from the first building (1907) was placed in a new setting.
- South Hall was dedicated.
- The north wing was added to Elizabeth Hall.
- 1972 March 12
- A new physical education building was dedicated.
- 1976 November 5
- The 1950 gymnasium was remodeled and dedicated as a Fine Arts Building.
- 1980 September 28
- The Selma and Gerhard Neils residence halls were dedicated on Concordia Day.
- 1981 April 25
- Hagen Campus Center, housing the F.W.J. Sylwester Library and dining services, was dedicated.
- Two modular classroom buildings were placed along NE Liberty Street.
- South Hall was renamed Weber Hall in honor of retired President E.P. Weber.
- 1993 June 12
- The Luther Hall east end addition was dedicated on commencement day.
- Hagen Center second floor was remodeled to accommodate the Concordia University Foundation offices.
- The campus was wired in preparation for an information network.
- 1998 August 22
- New residence halls on NE 30th Avenue and on NE Holman were blessed.
- 2003 June 4
- The chapel, constructed in 1951, was decomissioned and converted to classrooms.
- 2008 October
- The new Throw Center on NE 33rd Avenue was dedicated.
- The space formerly occupied by the library in Hagen Center was remodeled into a student union and physical plant offices.
- 2009 August
- The George R. White Library and Learning Center, and the Geraldine White Campanille, were dedicated.
- The Concordia Place Apartments on NE 27th Avenue were dedicated.
- 2009 October 24
- The apartments on NE Holman were renamed after former President Thomas Coates.
Further accruals are expected.
- Guide to the Concordia University Physical Facilities Collection An Inventory at the Concordia University (Portland, OR) Archives
- Nolan R. Bremer
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Finding Aid is written in English.
- Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission