Skip to main content

Concordia University News Publications Collection

 Record Group
Identifier: RG 02/01/03
The news publications were intended to provide the Church in the Northwest, as well as university alumni, with news about Concordia University. Not all issues of each title are available.

Dates

  • 1953 - 2010

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is available for research by appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University News Publications Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)

Abstract

The collection contains publications with news about Concordia University.

Historical Note

The Board of Directors of the Northwest District of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, in October, 1942, recommended that Concordia’s Board of Control appoint a “public relations man” for the school to arouse greater interest in the school on the parts of pastors and congregations and to enhance enrollment. Subsequently in the following January, the Board asked Professor Carl Nitz to add to his list of responsibilities outside contact work with congregations and pastors of the district.

When Thomas Coates became President, the Board informed him that public relations would also be one of his duties. He apparently was the first to begin publishing a formal newsletter, C=Notes, that was included in The Lutheran Witness. Subsequently the responsibility for publications fell to the Department of Public Relations. The Concordia University Foundation eventually assumed responsibility for public relations and began publishing The Portlander in 1993.

Arrangement

Arrangement of the folders is alphabetical order by title, and within each folder, by year.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.
Title
Guide to the Concordia University News Publications Collection An Inventory at the Concordia University (Portland, OR) Archives
Status
completed
Author
Nolan R. Bremer
Date
2004
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia University Archives Repository

Contact:
http://www.cu-portland.edu/academics/libraries
Concordia University
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland 97211-6099 USA