Skip to main content

Concordia University Academic Catalogs Collection

 Record Group
Identifier: RG 02/01/01
The catalogs presented general information about the school, academic and behavior expectations, the faculty, the curriculum, and fees. They thus chronicle the changing emphases and the increasing scope of the curriculum of the institution. Through about 1918 the catalogs were in German. The first modern catalog appeared in 1943. Through 1950 the catalogs were for the high school only. When Concordia added the junior college freshman class in 1950, the catalogs for that academic year through the 1960-1961 academic year contained information for both the high school and the college. Thereafter, separate catalogs were published for the high school and college. An incomplete collection of catalogs for the high school only is in folder 17. Catalogs are missing for the following years (assuming a catalog was published): 1905-1908, 1916-1917, 1920(?), and 1941-1943; an unknown number of catalogs is missing from the high school published separately in the years 1961-1978.

Dates

  • 1909 - 2012

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in German and English

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is available for research by appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University Academic Catalogs Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Extent

2 Linear Feet (in 4 boxes)

Abstract

The collection contains the official academic catalogs of Concordia Academy/Concordia College/Concordia University that give general information as well as a list of academic offerings.

Historical Note

Concordia College was founded in 1905 as a high school for boys preparing to enter the pastoral ministry of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. From 1944-1958 the official name was Concordia Academy. The freshman college year was added in the fall of 1950. In 1961 the college and high school were separated administratively. In 1977 Concordia became a four year college. The high school moved off campus in 1977 with its own board of directors under the name Portland Lutheran School. Concordia College became part of the Concordia University System in 1995 and changed the name to Concordia University.

According to the Faculty Minutes for October 20, 1942, “The Board for Higher Education has repeatedly asked for a catalogue of this institution. We have a little booklet of information, but no real catalogue. Resolved to consider this till the next meeting, whether we ought to have a catalogue made.” On March 16, 1943, the final decision was made to begin printing a catalog.

Arrangement

Arranged by year.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.
Title
Guide to the Concordia University Academic Catalogs Collection An Inventory at the Concordia University (Portland, OR) Archives
Status
completed
Author
Nolan R. Bremer
Date
2015
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia University Archives Repository

Contact:
http://www.cu-portland.edu/academics/libraries
Concordia University
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland 97211-6099 USA