Skip to main content

Concordia University Board of Regents Records

 Record Group
Identifier: RG 01/01
These records contain Board agendas, minutes, documents that accompanied the minutes because they influenced Board decisions, documents produced by the Board, and reports given to the Board. Included also are communications between the members of the Board and various individuals. The records span the administrations of Presidents F.W.J. Sylwester (1905-1946), Thomas Coates (1946-1957), E. P. Weber (1958-1983), and Charles E. Schlimpert (1983- ).

Dates

  • 1905 - 2003

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in German through 1925 and English thereafter.

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is available for research by appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

The Concordia University Archives is the owner of the materials in the Concordia University Board of Regents Records and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Concordia University Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Extent

10 Linear Feet (10 document boxes, 10 flat boxes)

Abstract

Minutes, correspondence, and documents produced by and for the Concordia Board of Regents. Includes records of the Board of Electors and the Advisory Council.

Historical Note

Concordia University, founded in 1905 as Evangelical Lutheran Concordia College, began as a high school for boys preparing to enter the pastoral ministry of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. The committee of the Oregon and Washington District that started the school became the first Board. As the governing board, the Board of Regents was first known as the Board of Supervision (in German, Aufsichts-Behörde) through 1922. From 1923 through 1980 the English name, Board of Control, was used. In 1981 the name was changed to Board of Regents. Until the 1940s, the Board made all major decisions, assuming most of the typical academic, business, public relations, fund-raising, and student life functions of the school. In the early 1950’s, under the leadership of President Thomas Coates, the faculty began to assume more of the day-to-day responsibilities, leaving the board with its more current policy-making functions. A separate Board of Electors, composed of Board of Control members plus others, convened as needed to choose recommended candidates for permanent faculty positions. In 1941, the name of the school was changed to Concordia Academy with a separate Board of Trustees for the Concordia Academy Corporation. In a 1947 reorganization, the Trustees were elected from the Board of Control so that the two functions came under one Board. The name was changed back to Concordia College in 1950. Because of the Board’s small numbers, an Advisory Council was formed on January 20, 1959, to provide “qualified consultants in its various areas of operation.” The Council members were appointed by the President with the approval of the Board. The Council met annually. In 1984 the name of the Council was changed to President’s Council “to more accurately reflect its function” with a new mission statement. In January, 1986, the Council was dissolved.

Arrangement

Arrangement is chronological within each series.

Related Archival Materials

The photographic file contains photographs of several of the boards. The earliest photograph is of the 1930 Board.
Title
Guide to the Concordia University Board of Regents Records An Inventory at the Concordia University (Portland, OR) Archives
Status
completed
Author
Nolan R. Bremer
Date
2004
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia University Archives Repository

Contact:
http://www.cu-portland.edu/academics/libraries
Concordia University
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland 97211-6099 USA