Skip to main content

Northwest District (LCMS) Architectural Committee Records

 Collection
Identifier: NWD-07
The collection includes correspondence, documents on church building projects, and minutes of the Architectural Committee.

Dates

  • 1922 - 1987
  • Majority of material found within 1943 - 1987

Language of Materials

Materials in the collection are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research by appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

The Northwest District Archives is the owner of the materials in the Architectural Committee Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Northwest District Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Extent

0.9 Linear Feet (in 2 boxes)

Abstract

The Northwest District (LCMS) Architectural Committee records describe the activities of the committee from 1943-1987.

Historical Note

The Architectural Committee was organized by resolution of the Northwest District Convention in June, 1945. The purposes of the committee were to advise congregations on the selection of building sites, to advise subsidized congregations on their building projects, and to supervise the building process.

A member of the committee almost from its inception was Kurt Schuette, a Portland, OR, architect. When the Commission on Architecture of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod was reorganized as the Synod's Standing Committee-Architecture, Schuette was appointed a regional advisor. In that capacity he was a liaison between the Northwest District's committee and the Synodical committee. Rev. D. C. Schroeder was chairman of the committee from 1950 to 1985.

The committee made regular reports to the Northwest District conventions until 1994 when the District was reorganized to eliminate standing committees in favor of task forces. The work of the committee was then absorbed by the Northwest District region of the Lutheran Church Extension Fund.

Arrangement

The materials are arranged in three series: Series I: Basic documents and correspondence relating to the work of the committee arranged alphabetically by subject; Series II: Minutes of Committee meetings arranged chronologically; and Series III: Correspondence with individual churches concerning their building programs arranged by the location of the church.

Related Archival Materials

The Committee made regular reports to the Northwest District Board of Directors and to the Northwest District Conventions.
Title
Guide to the Northwest District (LCMS) Architectural Committee Records An Inventory at the Northwest District Archives
Status
completed
Author
Nolan R. Bremer
Date
2010
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the Northwest District (Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod) Archives Repository

Contact:
Northwest District Archives
Concordia University
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland Oregon 97211-6099 USA