Skip to main content

Northwest District (LCMS) Mission Committee Records

 Collection
Identifier: NWD.08
The folders contain mostly correspondence to and from Paul M. Schmidt. The topics in the letters include matters of financing for churches receiving subsidy, conflict mediation, and reports on the current status of church programs. Occasionally documents from significant events in the history of the congregations, meeting minutes, and statistical reports also appear.

Dates

  • 1986 - 1997

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is available for research by appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

The Northwest District Archives is the owner of the materials in this Missions Committee Collection and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Northwest District Archives before any reproduction use. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. The status of copyright is governed by the Copyright Law of the U. S. (Title 17, U.S.C.). In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Extent

1.6 Linear Feet (in 2 boxes)

Abstract

The collection contains correspondence, reports, and documents from the history of several congregations in the Northwest District.

Historical Note

The Mission Committee of the Northwest District, LCMS, had its origins in 1887 with the organizing of the Oregon and Washington District of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. The name has changed at various times as follows:
  • 1887-1942Mission Board
  • 1942-1997Mission Committee
  • 1997-2010Expanding Ministries


The focus of the Mission Committee was on churches receiving financial assistance, as well as new churches and mission starts. Through 1942, the Mission Board was one of several boards that reported to the President and ultimately to the District Convention. In 1942 the District governance was reorganized into a Board of Directors; the newly renamed Mission Committee now reported directly to the District Board of Directors. The Mission Committee continued to have its own executive through 1994 when, as a result of a reorganization of the Board of Directors in which committees were replaced with task forces, the committee was phased out by 1997; its function was assumed by the Expanding Ministries program. Earlier, Rev. E. G. Jaech served as chair of the Mission Committee from 1957-1970. After that the chair of the committee changed frequently. Beginning in 1967, the Mission Committee was brought under the leadership of a full-time District Executive, Rev. D. C. Schroeder, who served until lhis retirement in 1985 both as District Secretary and as administrator of the Mission program.

In 1986 Rev. Paul M. Schmidt was called to the full-time position of Associate Director of Mission Services; the Mission Committee reported to him. From 1991-1995 the Mission Services and Stewardship Services functions were combined with Paul M. Schmidt as Executive Director. Schmidt retired in 1995.

Arrangement

The folders are arranged by the name of the city in which each church is located. Within each folder arrangement is chronological.

Related Archival Materials

Earlier materials from the Mission Board (1887-1942) and the Mission Committee (1943-1966) are included in the Board of Directors Collection. Reports from the Mission Committee and the executive, Paul M. Schmidt, may be located in the minutes of the Board of Directors for the years 1986-1997. Summary reports are printed in the Workbook of the District Conventions for the same years.
Title
Guide to the Northwest District (LCMS) Mission Committee Records
Subtitle
An Inventory at the Northwest District Archives
Status
completed
Author
Nolan R. Bremer
Date
2011
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Encoding of finding aid supported by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the Northwest District (Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod) Archives Repository

Contact:
Northwest District Archives
Concordia University
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland Oregon 97211-6099 USA